Vitrograph Kiln set up

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

Vitrograph Kiln set up

Post by aliceRI »

What should i use on the bottom of my vitrograph (Caldara) kiln? I bought a Vermiculite Board and it smoked and heated up the shelf, obviously not containing the heat and obviously not what I should have purchased. Someone on this board mentioned using cement board from Home Depot. Will that work and not heat up and smoke up the shelf? Is there any other recommendation?
Thanks.
Valerie Adams

Re: Vitrograph Kiln set up

Post by Valerie Adams »

I use the vermiculite board that Bullseye sells with the hole pre-cut. I've also got a Caldera and have used this set up several times. One of my boards cracked down the middle but is still serviceable. It's an inch thick; perhaps yours is too thin?
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thanks Valerie, that may be it. It was scary crazy.
I just bought fire bricks from Home Depot and think I will use those.
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I also use a vermiculite board, drilled a hole in it, I sat that on an old kiln shelf with a hole. I was worried about it cracking hence the kiln shelf under it. I also use a coller with my caladra so I can use taller pots.

Hope this is of some help

Shereen
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

I have a Skutt HotStart that I just drilled a 2" hole in the bottom of to pull vitagraph..I use a fiber board plug to close the holw when using for other things.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Alice, the board will only smoke until it is burned out, and then will no longer smoke.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions