Back Magic

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Warren Weiss

Back Magic

Post by Warren Weiss »

I'm thinking about putting a gloss on a slumped vase (using 3 step Karl Harron designed molds.) I have an old bottle of Fusion Headquarters "Back Magic." The idea is that this matures/glosses over at 975 F. Because the glass won't move/slump until you are over 1100 F, you can put your inverted bowl that has been sprayed with Back Magic in the kiln and fire it to 1000-1100 to generate a gloss. Does anyone have experience with this that shows it works? Thanks.

Warren
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Back Magic

Post by Brad Walker »

It's been years since I tried it, but I've never had good luck with it. It does change the sheen, but it's not really a shine. And I've tended to need to fire higher than the recommendation to get it to work at all.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have long wondered about this stuff. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever reported on WGBB that it works as advertised.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
vblue

Post by vblue »

I had cold worked a piece that needed a flat edge. The back magic took away the hazy look but was not glossy.

Vernelle