using my skutt glass forming kiln- gp706

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tsherm11

using my skutt glass forming kiln- gp706

Post by tsherm11 »

I just purchased a small glass kiln from skutt , a GP706, which has a pyrometer and a numbered infinite dial, but does not have a programmable option. Does anyone know how to use this kiln for fusing and slumping? I can't find a schedule for this kiln anywhere. Skutt can't even tell me how to use it. Any suggestions? Thanks tsherm11.
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

YOu will need to learn about your kiln and how fast it heats and cool. I would suggest starting on low for about 30 mins and then slowly move upp the dial till about 1100 then high till you get where you want to go... then turn the machine to low and let the kiln cool.. when you get to about 1100 then turn the kiln higher to slow down the cooling to get it to stabilize around 960. Keep it there for the length of your anneal and then turn the kiln off and let it cool on its own...
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I have done lots of fusing in this kiln, although mine is an old one I don't suppose it's changed much. My switch has Lo, 2,3,4,5,6,Hi. If I have a mullite kiln shelf in it, I set in on 4 to start and that will heat the kiln at about 500F per hour. That's probably the upper edge of safe heating, you could be a little more conservative. After 1-1/2 hours, I turn it to Hi. Another 1-1/2 hours later (approximately) you will be at fusing temperature of about 1450F. You will have to watch your kiln pretty closely the first few times that you use it. Turn it off when you have verified by eye that the glass is the way you want it (either through the peephole or ultimately by lifting the lid and looking in) and 20-30 minutes later it should be down to 960F. I turn it on at 2.5 and it maintains its heat. After an hour or two (depending on the size of the piece) I just shut it off and let cool naturally. This schedule works pretty well for smaller pieces. You could be a little more conservative and turn the kiln down again for the drop to 850F before turning it off.

If you leave out the kiln shelf, or use a fiber shelf, the kiln will heat and cool much more quickly so you have to make adjustments.

This is obviously only a guideline as individual kilns can vary. If you haven't figured it out yet, the switch is simply a timer that switches the elements on and off at a predetermined interval - the switch has no idea what the temperature in the kiln is. That's your job. Good Luck. Melt some glass.