Buying a used belt sander

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

MollyFrey

Buying a used belt sander

Post by MollyFrey »

I've been reading other posts about wet belt sanders but I'm not sure that I will be using it a lot other than smoothing out edges, so I thought about just buying a used belt sander and use the spray oil. I found 2 on CraigsList but I'm not sure if they will work well with glass. What do you guys think?

One is a Shopsmith 6" x 48" belt sander
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/4932169027.html

The other is a Craftsman belt and disc sander the belt is 6" x 48" also.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/4882280002.html

Is there anything I need to know about buying a used sander? Do I need something that can run at a certain rpm?

Thanks for any advice.
Don Burt

Re: Buying a used belt sander

Post by Don Burt »

I haven't heard of using a belt sander made for woodworking, with a 'spray oil' , on glass. Do people do this? I can't imagine anything other than a complete mess on the machine, on the floor and in the air. But I'm a little out of touch with coldworking.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Won't work!!! Water is used, not oil. Water would spray everywhere an quickly ruin the woodworking tool mechanics as well as soak the user. "The right tool for the right job" is the best advice here. If your just doing edges than a bench model WBS is probably adequate.
"The Glassman"
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

converting a machine can work but don't do it.
Dangers of electrocution for one reason
Odd sized expensive special order carbide grinding belts are another.
Cheaper to buy a used 4x106 machine.
They could easily be about the same price as those posted and if not similar the cost of purchasing the special belts for the smaller machines will rapidly make the bigger machine look cheap.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I have converted plenty of wood belt sanders to be used wet. from 1" x 30" to 4" x 36" and yes sprayed water on them.

Make 100% sure to have it plugged into a GFI breaker, I have been doing this for almost 20 years and have not ONCE had the GFI breaker trip because of water.

I do also have a 4" x 106" sander but end up using the 1" x 30" more often than than the 4 x 106

a 4x36 sander like this

is completely water proof to the motor except near the switch. A bit of duct tape ingenuity and along with some gentle water spray and it's good to go.

With some irrigation nozzles from the hardware store and you are off.

Rick Wilton
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

A wet belt is obviously the best way to go but I have used a dry belt sprayed with silicone lubricant. It doesn't create too much heat if done properly but it does generate some dust. A mask is a good idea.
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Rick, what type of belts do you use and where do you purchase them? I have been thinking of getting something for smoothing edges, but the cost has always stopped me.
Cate
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I bought mine many years ago and haven't gone through them all yet. I had to order a lot of them to get a good price. You can get them from here though

https://www.fintechabrasives.com/sandin ... ding-belts

Kevin does make a good point regarding the 4x106 belts being a better value, but the machine will run $2000 compared to $50 - $120.00 for something that is better in some respects and lacking in others.

I like the versatility of having all three.

You CANNOT use the belts that come with these nor buy the correct belts at home depot or similar store. You need wet belts designed for glass / stone.

If anyone would like to see images of my set-up let me know.

Absolutely DO NOT forget a proper GFI outlet water and power CAN be a concern if not handled properly.
Rick Wilton
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Rick, I would love to see your set-up. I don't worry about electric, as my husband and I are both electricians. I just can't wrap my head around the water set-up. Do you use the silicone carbide belts? And how many do you use on a piece? I guess you grind the edge before you slump the piece?
Thanks for the help,
Cate
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Do you hear that Nay sayers the "Electrician isn't worried about the water and power"

Sorry for that but I've had numerous "discussions" regarding water and electricity here. The people that actually know what they are doing aren't concerned.

I'll send you some images.
Rick Wilton
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Thanks Rick. I learned early on not to be afraid of electricity. You just have to be careful and aware of what you are doing, but that doesn't mean I haven't been zapped a time or two. I had to hook up the power on the side of a house once when it started raining. That job is always 'hot' and scary. [-o<
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

So far on this thread all posts are from north America where the domestic power supply is 120v. A 'zap' will give you a good tickle. Be very cautious if modifying equipment in countries with 240v supply. I looked into it some time ago, with some good advice on this board, and decided it wasn't worth the risk here, even with a GFI power point. A 'zap' from 240v is almost always fatal. Jen (who is not an electrician, or a thrill-seeker).
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I'm with you on that Jen. GFCI receptacles and breakers are good, but they do fail. So the outlets and switches in your home are 240 volts? Didn't know that.
Cate
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Yes Cate, all domestic wiring in Oz is 220-240v, 50 Hz. Industrial is 220v and up. We have three-phase capability in our workshops as well if needed. Jen
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I work on receptacles and switchs hot half of the time. Wouldn't want to do that in Australia!
Cate
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I would look at the Covington wetbelt sanders made for the lapidary trade. They come as small as 24".
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions