I'm in LOVE!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cindy next door

Post by Cindy next door »

okay, I have one in the kiln with the fiber paper rim with sand holding it up. We'll see how that comes out tomorrow.

I'm cleaning up the one with the problem. I had sprinkled some powder on the sand design to see what it would look like. It must of had the sand issue enter in - right?

I sandblasted it and got the gritty parts off. Do I need to clean it up better than that? Some of the powder did stay on in the grooves and seems fine. I'm going to refuse flat to get it all together again.
Cindy next door
Cheryl

Foundries for Sand...

Post by Cheryl »

Found this link: http://www.artcastingjournal.com/foundries.htm

I actually just called one of the places in MD and they gave me another place in B'more that does sell olivine sand. Some days it's great to live in an industrial town! (Other days...)
Cindy next door

Thank you, thank you. There is one in Tempe which is the next town over.

The one from yesterday should be cool enough soon, I can hardly wait..... I peeked and at least the borders stayed and no holes!
Cindy next door
Cindy next door

Okay got it out. The firing was a success.

This is the basic texture I put on most of my pieces. I have been doing it with fiber paper and making up a new one for each piece. This will work out to be much easier.

The texture is not as deep as I normally do. I am in the process of making a permanent fiber mold and used that for the imprint. It worked well, so I think for imprinting purposes I will make one that has higher ridges.

The sand for the border was great. It has been a pain to get the piece to fit into it's ring the 2nd time. This will work wonderfully.

http://community.webshots.com/album/121 ... that works
Cindy next door
Cindy next door

Cindy next door
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Cindy the texture is very cool--it looks like crinkled up paper or something. But I want to see that piece with some light through it. There are some really interesting things going on in it, streaks and veins that I can't quite see.
-Amy
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Cindy:
oohhh I like it! I'm with Amy, love to see it with light through it.
Kim
Cindy next door

I'll post a pic when I get the portfolio pic done. Those have the light and color view, but you don't really see the texture, just the effect of it.

Got another one in the kiln......
Cindy next door