Ceramic kilns for fusing glass in schools

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

vblue

Ceramic kilns for fusing glass in schools

Post by vblue »

I'm teaching another Intro. To Glass Fusing class to FWISD Art Teachers. These are teachers who have never even cut glass. Half of the teachers in this class are elementary teachers who have ceramic kilns.

Most of the teachers that I have taught in the past have new kilns that fire glass. This is the first class I've had with this many with ceramic kilns.

I have never used a ceramic kiln. I know the difference in element placement, etc. I need something to help guide them in firing their kilns for glass. I found one item on Paragon's website.

Anyone have any resources, info. site for videos, etc. that can help them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Vernelle
vblue

Re: Ceramic kilns for fusing glass in schools

Post by vblue »

I thought that I would also mention that most of these teachers with ceramic kilns are also NEW teachers or with only a year or two experience in the classroom. (one was a photography major). So I'm trying to get them as much information as I can.
cherylka

Post by cherylka »

Do the kilns have controllers, or are they cone sitters? I've been fusing and slumping in my ceramic kilns for 12 years.
I use Spectrum's firing programs. You can find them at System96.com. They work for Bullseye, too.
vblue

Post by vblue »

Thank you for your reply. I had the teachers bring me photos of their kilns. Since they had no knowledge of kilns, they thought the kilns were only ceramic kilns.

Turns out that the kilns controllers have cone fire AND ramp fire. They now know they can use them for glass and how to use the controllers for glass.

Vernelle