update on balloon and condom freeze and fuse

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kate Saunders

update on balloon and condom freeze and fuse

Post by Kate Saunders »

Yesterday I tried 3 freeze and fuse molds, like I mentioned I might try a couple of weeks ago. I used a small, round balloon, a condom, and an ice cube tray that made round ice cubes.
By far the most successful was the balloon, which turned out with enough little folds up near where I tied it off to make it organic/interesting looking. I was able to pretty easily
pour the excess water from it. The condom was more difficult to get the excess water out of, and I ended up with a water mark and different texture near the top. It didn't break when I was putting the powder sludge into it, which I thought might happen. The round ice cube tray was not great. I was able to fill the bottom half of the cube before I put the lid on it. I then had to get the powder sludge into the little hole at the top half of the mold. Slow, but possible. I tamped the sludge tightly into the top half by using a mandrel and poking about, quite a tedious job. When it came out of the kiln there were definitely two halves to it because of the different textures, caused by the different ways I compacted the sludge. I was pleased with the balloon job and plan on making more to play around with. Many thanks for the suggestions!
JestersBaubles

Re: update on balloon and condom freeze and fuse

Post by JestersBaubles »

Kate Saunders wrote:The condom was more difficult to get the excess water out of <SNIP> It didn't break when I was putting the powder sludge into it,
Both good things, considering the medium :mrgreen: .

I hope you'll post pictures of the fired pieces.

Dana W.