need pot melt inspiration

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Andrea R

need pot melt inspiration

Post by Andrea R »

to much glass !!!!
HELP PLEASE........
"C'est Moi (Its Me)"
Don Burt

Re: need pot melt inspiration

Post by Don Burt »

I like my pot melts inspired by a pre-Raphaelite sentiment: You would wear a modest gown in a dark garden. Place the glass shards in the flower pot while clutching a small leather book to your chest. Look upward, pleadingly, to be released from the torment of temptation. Then I guess you bring it inside, melt it into a blob and put it on your window sill.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I've been making boxes :)

http://jestersbaubles.blogspot.com/2015 ... verre.html
boxes.JPG
boxes.JPG (9.5 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Trying to use up scrap, as well as come up with a few things I can sell inexpensively at an upcoming summer art fair (so I don't feel so downtrodden when the pieces which I have hours of work into don't sell). :mrgreen:

Dana W.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I donate most of my small scrap to beginners or mosaic artists.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I use some transparent small scrap, especially the lighter-colored stuff, as backfill in larger pate de verre sculptures--when you get more than a couple of inches deep, it really doesn't matter what you've got back there as long as it's not dark or opaque. All you're really doing is massing glass, so no point in wasting it...

I use a few dark transparent and opal bits as accents or spots in transparent castings, set in the reservoirs above molds in the billets (they make tiny streaks), and I tend to make fritballs with abandon whenever I have shelf space.

But that still leaves a lot of tiny bits, and I have to admit the novelty of jars and jars of the stuff has worn off after 20-odd years of doing glass. Even for potmelts and the like I'm probably going to be choosing specific colors/shapes/patterns/sizes, so the likelihood of having enough of exactly the right bits in the bins is slim.

I'm no longer telling myself that there's gotta be SOMETHING lovely I can make, so I do what Val does, and partner up with mosaic artists. ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Andrea R

Post by Andrea R »

Thanks Morganica and Val yes think I need to find a masaic artists :)
"C'est Moi (Its Me)"