Leponitt Heavy duty pliers - no plastic - do they work?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

Leponitt Heavy duty pliers - no plastic - do they work?

Post by seachange »

Hi,

I am thinking to get the Leponitt heavy duty pliers http://shop.bullseyeglass.com/leponitt- ... liers.html

Wonder if anyone is using them?

The basic running pliers always have those little plastic sleeves and the recommendation seems to be to replace them when metal is showing through.

These pliers are all metal only, so not sure if this type also needs some rubber or plastic protection.

I suppose since BE sells them that they are ok as they are, but I'll be very thankful for any personal experience with these.

Many thanks, seachange
Marty

Re: Leponitt Heavy duty pliers - no plastic - do they work?

Post by Marty »

They're great for thicker glass, say 3/16" and up, and you can put strips of duck tape on the jaws to minimize chipping and scratching.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Thanks Marty, I ordered them. Will use tape as you suggest.

Best regards, seachange
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I mostly cut 10mm or 6mm glasses. I have 2 pairs of running pliers, one like the Leponit (when I bought them a long time ago, they were called PPG running pliers, and cost more), and Toyo heavy glass running pliers. I use the Toyos for every cut over 2" wide. I use the steel ones for 1" wide cuts. I rarely need to make cuts between 1" and 2". I have to press hard enough that I often chip off edges with the steel pliers. They work great for cutting 2" strips (10mm thick) in to 1" strips. The duct tape idea is probably a good one.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Canadian source:
http://www.hitechglazing.com/catalog/40229
Pricing in Canadian and Us Dollars. Check which one you want
seachange

Post by seachange »

Bert Weiss wrote:I mostly cut 10mm or 6mm glasses. I have 2 pairs of running pliers, one like the Leponit (when I bought them a long time ago, they were called PPG running pliers, and cost more), and Toyo heavy glass running pliers. I use the Toyos for every cut over 2" wide. I use the steel ones for 1" wide cuts. I rarely need to make cuts between 1" and 2". I have to press hard enough that I often chip off edges with the steel pliers. They work great for cutting 2" strips (10mm thick) in to 1" strips. The duct tape idea is probably a good one.
Thanks Bert, I appreciate the detailed reply. My cuts - up to now - are only up 1" wide. Will keep the Toyo information for the future.

Best regards, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

Kevin Midgley wrote:Canadian source:
http://www.hitechglazing.com/catalog/40229
Pricing in Canadian and Us Dollars. Check which one you want
Hi Kevin,

Many thanks for the address. I managed to find them in Australia for the equivalent price, when taking the overseas shipping cost into account.

This is a rare event. It comes close to the price because currently our $ is very low, making everything very expensive. Have recently bought glass from the USA, $ 410, paid AU$ 519.

Not nice, but have to ride it.

Best wishes, seachange
Dick

Post by Dick »

I have the toyo heavy duty and they are great. I have the cheaper BE pliers, and it is true that the plastic wears pretty quickly. I used what I use for my tools, and dipped them in the plasti dip and they work great.
Attachments
plastic dip.png
plastic dip.png (15.13 KiB) Viewed 22553 times
seachange

Post by seachange »

Thanks Dick and Jim.

Will try to find that in Australia. Actually I found it, but the postage more than doubles the cost of the tin. Got in contact with them but no reply, so I have to find another dealer.

It looks like a product that would be useful in any workshop.

Many thanks again and best regards, seachange
De Anza Art Glass Club

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

In the case you cannot find the plastic dip in Australia (where I used to work, we referred to it as "plastisol"),
you might look for liquid electrical insulation and try that out. I have no idea whether or not it will actually
work, though. It is usually found in the same area as electrical insulation tape.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Many thanks for that. We have accounts with two electrical shops in town, they are very helpful, will check with them next time.

Did a quick search for plastisol, google brought up a lot of sites about printing on t shirts, will try again.

Bests from down under, seachange
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

You don't need any plastic on these heavy duty pliers!! They are designed to work as sold.
"The Glassman"
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Seachange......I had a look around on-line and found this comment on a biker site:

It's from 2009 so don't know if they still carry it. Sorry it's so small but all it says is that it's available at Bunnings. You do have Bunnings in Tassie? Jen
Attachments
Plasti-dip.png
seachange

Post by seachange »

DonMcClennen wrote:You don't need any plastic on these heavy duty pliers!! They are designed to work as sold.
Thanks Don. Will try them without any plastic first. My concern is with dichroic coatings, some tend to chip. In my small running pliers I am forever changing the plastic covers, but that is the only experience i have.

It would be good if they don't need anything.

Thank you, seachange
seachange

Post by seachange »

Buttercup wrote:Hi Seachange......I had a look around on-line and found this comment on a biker site:

It's from 2009 so don't know if they still carry it. Sorry it's so small but all it says is that it's available at Bunnings. You do have Bunnings in Tassie? Jen
Yes! now we have one in the north of Tassie ! Took a long time, but it finally happened :D

Will definitely check with them. May be it works with my small running pliers also.

It seems a good thing to have in the studio and workshop.

Many thanks, seachange