Lead free clear

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

geegee

Lead free clear

Post by geegee »

Does anyone know if System 96 clear is lead free?

Thanks for your help. I need to know so I can manage the interaction of lead with yellow and orange coe 96 glass. Those two colors don't have lead in them and when combined with lead bearing glass become muddy.
Last edited by geegee on Sat May 23, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Rawls

Re: Lead free clear

Post by Greg Rawls »

Check the MSDS for it.
Greg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

http://www.delphiglass.com/page/knowled ... ItemID=120

Can Spectrum Glass be used for dinnerware?
Spectrum products have been tested for chemical leaching as required by the FDA for food bearing surfaces. All of our products passed and were determined to be suitable.

However, when you use Spectrum glass to produce a product of your own (slump it, fuse it, foil it, lead it, etc.), it’s not Spectrum glass anymore. It’s your product now, and as such, must pass all tests before being sold or used as a food bearing surface. It is possible that the processes you use to make your product alter the composition of the raw materials (the glass) in such a way that they may no longer meet the required standards. Either way, the regulations are clear: You must have your own finished products tested and approved.

For more information about health and safety issues for food bearing surfaces you should contact The Society of Glass Ceramic Decorators, 888 17th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC (202) 728-4132.

Note this is on the Delphi site. I don't see this issue addressed on the System 96/Spectrum Glass site.

Dana
De Anza Art Glass Club

Post by De Anza Art Glass Club »

Greg Rawls wrote:Check the MSDS for it.
If you know where this is online, without contacting the company, it would be nice if you would provide a link. I could not find any links when I looked.

Edit: I believe that you will have to contact Spectrum or Uroboros. I found an MSDS for glass frit (apparently Uroboros frit) on the Art Clay World website, but it is a generic MSDS and does not mention any manufacturer and even though it has different sections for color groups, the only place lead is mentioned is for Gold Pink and Gold Purple colors, and I do not believe that MSDS will be satisfactory for verifying lead-free content.

Possibly useful information: Bullseye Glass does not link MSDS sheets online, but states that MSDS sheets are available on request, and the reason they do not link the MSDS files online is because they want to know who is requesting them.