angle grinder without water supply?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SandyS

angle grinder without water supply?

Post by SandyS »

Hi,
I'm looking to get an angle grinder but I don't have a water supply in my studio. Is it possible to use one without water? I think I've heard of using oil? Or is it possible to rig up a water supply with a bucket hung high?

Thanks
Sandy
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: angle grinder without water supply?

Post by Brad Walker »

Look for PVA grinding discs. Made for marble, but will work on glass.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

A lot of people use them inside large, plastic storage tubs to contain the spray. Then you only need enough water to cover the glass.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I was lucky to find a backpack sprayer on sale, cheap. This works fine for my wet grinder and my wet saw. I wear the water on my back and give it a pump or 2 every now and then.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
charlie

Post by charlie »

it's not much water. i used to use a 2 gallon jug with a hole and tap in the side up high on a shelf above my wbs for this. most of the stuff you can get at home depot in the garden sprinkler aisle: drip system stuff.
SandyS

Post by SandyS »

thanks everyone! any suggestions on which grinder to buy or what features to look for?

Sandy
Dick

Post by Dick »

If you are buying a grinder anyway and have the money, buy a wet grinder now, and you will have it for when you do get a water source. I like the Alpha but Bob has stuff to look at on His Glassworks, so check them out.