PVA Dry Disc Polishing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Gilpin

PVA Dry Disc Polishing

Post by Linda Gilpin »

Hello - I saw a comment on this and now can't seem to find it. Is it possible to use PVA Diamond Grinding Discs (using them dry not wet) and get a good fire polish? Are the discs used with a polishing machine or a grinder? Any recommendations on brands or grit (and suppliers) would be much appreciated! Would it be better to just get a wet belt sander if I wouldn't have the need for it very often?

Sorry, I'm not a tool girl!
Barry Kaiser

Re: PVA Dry Disc Polishing

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Having never tried dry diamond sanding, I will venture an answer.
The reason we use water is to cool the diamond. They tend to heat up rapidly. In heating up they would destroy the bond holding them to the surface, thus freeing themselves and no longer being effective.
Don't think it would work for long, but maybe someone who has had success would chime in here.

Barry
charlie

Post by charlie »

they do countertop edging in the field with diamond pads on grinders without water all the time. they may be bonded differently, or the diamonds are in the hard rubber and aren't dislodged with use.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Or the stone is much less susceptible to cracking from the heat generated by the dry process.
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="Marty"]Or the stone is much less susceptible to cracking from the heat generated by the dry process.[/quote]

i was referring to the bonding agent in the pad not breaking down and releasing the diamonds.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Charlie- That may be but the main reason for not running those things dry is the thermal affect on the glass. The stone guys are muy macho- no stinkin' water and no stinkin' dust masks and no stinkin' ear or eye protection either.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Glass guys dry grind all the time, with carbide sanding belts. I dry grind with my inch and an eighth by twenty one belt sander. The belts are specifically designed for dry grinding glass. If you build up too much heat, little chips fly off. I don't know anything about dry grinding with diamonds. I have a wet grinder for that.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Dick

Post by Dick »

Always better to add even a little water. I have used the peel off pads from CR Laurence that they use for windshields etc. and I suppose if you went super slow it might work, but faster, and more efficient and healthy if you use water. Even when cutting kiln shelves, which can be done dry, it is faster, easier and more healthy to add water