Beginner's fusing question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DebB

Beginner's fusing question

Post by DebB »

Hi:
I'm quite new to the world of glass fusing, so I'm going to ask a very basic question for fusing a small plate:
I have cut two Bullseye circles of clear glass the same size, and I want to add some decorative previously fused frit created shapes to the top. Can I full fuse everything at the same time, or do I have to first fuse the two circles together, then do a second fuse for the decorative elements?
Debbie
Vonon

Re: Beginner's fusing question

Post by Vonon »

I always play it safe and fuse the two circles first then add elements to the top in a second firing. If the pre-fused elements are very large you may be adding enough extra mass to require a dam to restrict spreading of the circle. If you are just adding something like wafers, damming would not be necessary. The reason I would fuse the base first is so that if it is not successful (bubble) then I haven't ruined the preformed decorative elements and can try again.
Vonon
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Maybe I'm cocky or just impatient, but I fire pieces like that in a single firing.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

OTOH, some glasses might be fussy about a second trip through the kiln at fusing temperatures, and you may end up getting results you didn't expect or don't particularly like.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
DebB

Post by DebB »

Thank you for your answers. I appreciate your input.
I gave it a shot, played it safe and just used some frit for the designs. Turned out not too bad for starters.

I have another question: I slumped it over a small bowl mold, and when it came out, the inside did not have a glossy finish.
The outside of the bowl did. Is this normal? Or did I slump it wrong?
Debbie
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Yes, that's normal. The surface in contact with the mold or the kiln shelf will take on the texture of that surface.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
DebB

Post by DebB »

Thank goodness! :)
Debbie