newbie float question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

archie

newbie float question

Post by archie »

afternoon

If I wanted to try a bowl, ect using float glass and I should use 2 layers of glass? can I cap colored float with clear or should I use two layers of the colored? Can anyone give me a suggestion for a firing sched for a Skutt? thanks, Archie
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

Hey Archie, check the archives. There is plenty to find about the subject . I would also look in the Tutorial section for standard slumping schedules. Yours will vary depending upon your kilns environment.

Good luck!

Mike
Nelson Tan

Post by Nelson Tan »

Hi Archie

we tried to fuse green float and blue float.
simply not comptible. our float glass here is made by Asahi Glass

better to fuse to layers of the same color from the same sheet

nelson
hoknok

Post by hoknok »

Archie,

I think Armstrong glass has introduced new colors for float glass. Maybe you could combine these colors since they have the same coe. They are made to work with float. I have not tried them but it looks promising.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

hoknok wrote:Archie,

I think Armstrong glass has introduced new colors for float glass. Maybe you could combine these colors since they have the same coe. They are made to work with float. I have not tried them but it looks promising.
I saw the Armstrong glass recently and was somewhere between astonished and angry. It is simply enamel smeared on thin float glass. Since much float glass is not compatible, this looks to me to be a particularly worthless material, not to mention ugly.

I heard a rumour that Youghiogheny has some float compatible colors, but I don't know anything about them. They are not listed on their website.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

i saw the "new colours" from armstrong too and the not impressed. Expensive and not to uniqui, anyone with a lil exp. can make those peices themselves. It would'l have been bettter if it was avail in thicker pieces.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Bert Weiss wrote:I heard a rumour that Youghiogheny has some float compatible colors, but I don't know anything about them. They are not listed on their website.
Seems to me that "float compatible" glass would be pointless. How do you make a glass compatible with all float when float isn't always compatible with float.

- Paul
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

What about decals?

Can they be used with float?
Tyler Frisby

Post by Tyler Frisby »

Good question Ill ask it again can Decals be used with Float , Im thinkin of the Irid ones, Irid float would be neat
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

I also would like to know whether it would be OK to tack fuse stringers of any kind to something like float. Do you think that tack fusing something that is definitely not compatible and it being something as thin as stringers - would it eventually break off?????
Kathie Karancz
Tribal Turtle
Victoria, British Columbia
http://www.tribalturtle.com
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I heard the same thing about Youghiogheny glass. In fact the owner of the company is the one that told me that late last August. I have been watching the web site ever since. He said they would post it. My question is how can the statement be made that it is compatiable. Well I guess it is compatiable with some float.

Nanc
Nanc
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Kathie Karancz wrote:I also would like to know whether it would be OK to tack fuse stringers of any kind to something like float. Do you think that tack fusing something that is definitely not compatible and it being something as thin as stringers - would it eventually break off?????
Yes and no but you'll have stress cracks at the very minimum. Kevin
AVLucky

Post by AVLucky »

Is there any reason why you want to use float? If it's a cost consideration, I would personally rather spend a little extra money on compatible glass, rather than a lot of extra time running tests.
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Kathie Karancz wrote:I also would like to know whether it would be OK to tack fuse stringers of any kind to something like float. Do you think that tack fusing something that is definitely not compatible and it being something as thin as stringers - would it eventually break off?????
Hi Kathie -

I've seen very small amounts of incompatible enamel crack the surface of float. I've also seen a different color of the same brand/type enamel work fine.

I'd expect most stringers would cause some kind of problem -- test, test, test.