Frit Dust

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Frit Dust

Post by smallbitz »

I usually make my own frit, unless I need large quantities. I've always used a coffee grinder and sifters and it just works great! I have to have my glass and supplies shipped to me, so with the weight of frit, it's much more economical for me to make my own from scrap.

I wear a surgical mask when I grind (very dusty). My teenage niece and nephew want to give me a hand this summer and do some grinding (YEAH!), but I'm not sure how safe it really is for them...If I have them wear a mask, do you think they'd be okay?
smallbitz

Re: Frit Dust

Post by smallbitz »

Ahh! Just saw this old post!
Greg Rawls wrote:Glass dust is not especially dangerous. It is considered to be a nuisance dust by OSHA. Glass dust is not silica, it is a non-crystalline silicate and does not cause silicosis. See my web site for more information. Use your ShopVac to clean up the mess.

http://www.gregorieglass.com Click on Glass Artist Health and Safety
this post from Greg Rawls:

Guess I should have looked a little more before I posted question! Love this board! So, so much information!!
Alexis Dinno

Post by Alexis Dinno »

Oi smallbits!

There's heaps of stuff the glass studio that your do not want in your lungs! Surgical masks will not protect you from these things (they protect from the spatter of large droplets, that' about it). I would recommend investing in your future by purchasing and maintaining a P100 particulate filter mask for studio use.

My $0.02.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Oy- overkill. P95 will cover the nuisance dusts from powders.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

My Mistake!! I have always called it a 'surgical mask'. It's a particulate mask - a P100 to be exact. I use it to scrape kiln wash and to do all the nasty, dusty things in my studio. I HAVE been using it to grind and sort my frit. I was just surprised to see this post that calls glass dust 'nuisance dust' and not really harmful. Probably don't need a P100. You certainly need to cover your face, as the dust is pretty bad, but I thought this post from Greg Rawls was very interesting.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

P95 oil-proof - 95% efficient for particles ≥0.3 microns (µm)
P100 oil-proof - 99.7% efficient for particles ≥0.3 microns (µm)

As you can see, there is not much difference between P95 and P100. P100's are mainly for asbestos. The downside is breathing resistance is much higher in a P100, making you more likely not to wear it.

Remember - you can't get silicosis from ground glass. It is a SILICATE, not a SILICA.
Greg