Move digital controller

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cate G

Move digital controller

Post by Cate G »

Is it possible to move a digital controller from the kiln to the wall? What do you have to do to accomplish this? There is wiring going from the elements and the thermocouple to the controller, right?
Cate
jim simmons

Re: Move digital controller

Post by jim simmons »

We will need a lot more information than this.
What kind of kiln, controller voltage. and any other descriptive things you can think of.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cate, when I design and build kilns, I always mount the controller and the relays on the wall. Generally, I have to run the power cables and the thermocouple wires over to the kiln from the wall. I usually use welding cables sized for the amperage they are carrying. Thermocouple wire is not hard to get, but you must use the right wire, and they must be hooked up correctly.

If you do it this way, you can use solid state relays, mounted on aluminum heat sinks. I just learned how to reconfigure a Bartlett controller so it turns on or off 5 times a second. This will give you tighter control than a mechanical relay. Mechanical relays are good for an average of 100,000 clicks solid state relays are good for millions.

You could also set your controller up to be a plug and play. You would have to switch out the thermocouple, so you plug the power cord in to the wall outlet (attached to the controller and relay), and move the thermocouple in to the kiln you want it to control.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Thanks Jim and Bert. The kiln is a Paragon 16" round top load, 240v/20amp, and it has a Bartlett controller. When you program it, you have to press the up or down arrows until you get to the correct number (temp/time). Even though it's on a stand the controller sits really low. It's a real pain in the knees/back!!
So Bert, I can't just unscrew the controller from the kiln and extend the wiring, sleeved in some greenfield? I would only move it about 4'.
Cate
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

raise the kiln on fireproof blocks instead of going to all the trouble with wiring etc.???
Marty

Post by Marty »

or a low steel table?
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

It's on the steel stand that the kiln came with. Since I'm tall, I could raise it up a little bit before it's too high to put work down into.
Do digital controllers last longer when they aren't getting heated up so much from sitting on the outside wall of the kiln?
Cate
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Digital relays fail when overheated, so manufacturers use the inferior mechanical relays that don't care about being mounted on the side of a hot kiln. I don't know if it effects a controller.

If I were to move the controller, I would set up the controller and the relay on the wall, connected to a female dryer outlet. Then plug the kiln in to it. Then you have to run the thermocouple wire over to the kiln.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

How about the element wires? Do they go into the controller or the thermocouple?
Cate
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cate G wrote:How about the element wires? Do they go into the controller or the thermocouple?
Cate
The element wires run from the elements to power, with the power leg going through a relay, which can turn power on or off. From the relay the wires can either go directly to the elements, or they can go to an outlet, in to which you plug the kiln. Dryer plugs and cords are rated for 30 amps, so they will do fine with 20 amps. These are Home Depot parts.

If I am wiring the kiln directly to power, I would use welding cable sized for the amperage you are using. For 20 amps, you might get away with a #12 extension cord. I believe 12 gauge flexible wire is good for 20 amps. Ask somebody to make sure.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Great, thanks Bert. I will tackle it in 2 or 3 weeks. I just had my right knee replaced, so need to recuperate a little first. I think I will try to move the controller on my big Olympic kiln also. Not so much because it's difficult to program like the Paragon, but for the extreme heat issues.
Cate
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

hope your knee replacement is not a painful as mine is. got mine 6/5. still trying to figure pain meds. had a couple reactions
make sure you.re off the pain meds and thinking clearly when you attempt conversion
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Well, I had it done on the 16th. It's painful and really swollen. Did you wear the compression stockings for blood clots? I have been, but took them off today because my leg was so swollen and really felt awful in them. I'm going to the Dr's office tomorrow for a handicap card for my car and will ask the Dr about it. I don't like taking narcotics, but I have been taking them for this regularly. I've been in pain with this leg for a year, and enough is enough. They tell me the physical therapy is the most important thing with knee and hip replacement.
Cate
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have hip replacement surgery scheduled for the end of September. I am not looking forward to summer as a cripple. I have to wait so long because the surgeon is in such high demand, because he does the short slit and is so good at it. This guy does 5 hips a day, 2 days a week, 50 weeks a year. 500 a year. Yikes.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I will have to have the other knee done next year. I'm glad I didn't do them both at the same time. I need this better knee, even though it's not great either, to get around. I think I will do the same as you and do it in September.