Skutt Kiln Tip

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mark Wright

Skutt Kiln Tip

Post by Mark Wright »

I have a Skutt Clam Shell kiln, GM 22CS, that is heating unevenly because the heating coils that are in the lid have settled to the back of the kiln. Gravity in action! Probably not the best kiln for firings that require the kiln to be opened during firing. Over time the coils settle to the back of the kiln from repeated openings when hot.
Skutt suggested I unplug the kiln, remove the top cover to get access to the heating elements and see if could push the coils back towards the front where they belong. Cold – no heat. I tried it and it works. The caveat is that it will not work forever because the coils will eventually become brittle from extensive use. FWIW - a new set of coils for this kiln is about $125.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Skutt Kiln Tip

Post by Brad Walker »

The bigger question is why Skutt designed the kiln with the elements running front to back. If they had done it from side to side, as is the case on my Nabertherm and my Olympic, you wouldn't get the sliding to the back problem at all.

When you talked to Skutt, did they say anything about why they had to design it the way they did?
Mark Wright

Re: Skutt Kiln Tip

Post by Mark Wright »

I'm with you Brad. Why didn't they design it with the elements going side to side? On their web site they even show Patty Grey combing with the lid open. This kiln has a lot going for it but opening during a firing is not one of them.