Skutt GM1014 - Can Handles Be Used to Lift?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mike Jordan

Skutt GM1014 - Can Handles Be Used to Lift?

Post by Mike Jordan »

I have a Skutt GM1014 kiln and will be selling it and want to move it off it's short stand onto a wooden pallet that is sitting on a dolly so it can be wheeled out of the garage. Can the handles on it's side be used to lift the kiln and swing it over and onto the pallet?

I didn't use the handles when I put it on the stand when I bought it and though they seem solid enough, I don't know if they are really designed to be load bearing, even if for just a few minutes without shifting the bricks or potentially doing any damage to the kiln. I'm usually to busy at work during the day to call Skutt so thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has any experience with the handles.

Thanks

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Valerie Adams

Re: Skutt GM1014 - Can Handles Be Used to Lift?

Post by Valerie Adams »

My Skutt GM1414 is over 300 pounds; we used the four handles to lift, carry, and level it.
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

That's good to hear, Valerie. I know that GM1414 is a monster as I almost bought one instead of the 1014 I did buy but I came to my senses in time. :D

Thanks

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I think it depends on the age and condition of the kiln; when I gave away my GM1414 last year, we specifically did NOT rely on the handles. Over the years and hundreds and hundreds of firings, the steel jacket's gotten a bit looser. We were concerned that there would be too much shifting of firebrick unless we were exactly symmetrical, so we used a combination of boards underneath the kiln and the handles.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

My kiln is about 8 years old and has had probably less than 200 firings but I'd have to count my log entries to get a closer idea. I hear what you are saying though, which is why I thought I'd ask before I tried. Everything still looks pretty solid but I don't plan on lifting and carrying it, I just want to lift it off the stand a little and swing it over to the pallet that will be sitting on a furniture type dolly I'll have right up next to it. After that any lifting will be done from the pallet and hopefully with several people to pick it up.

Thanks

Mike