alarm warning on jen ken

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nicole Hanna

alarm warning on jen ken

Post by Nicole Hanna »

I'm at a friend's studio and need a quick answer ...she has a jen ken that keeps throwing an "FtC"...failure to cool alarm when it hits about 540 degrees on the way down. Any idea why it's doing this?
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: alarm warning on jen ken

Post by Brad Walker »

Most likely she has programmed a cooling rate that's faster than the kiln can cool. (FtC = Failure to Cool)

Unless the piece is really thick, she should just turn the kiln off (i.e., end the program) once the temperature gets down to 750 and let it cool naturally.
Nicole Hanna

Re: alarm warning on jen ken

Post by Nicole Hanna »

Thanks Brad. That's what I thought but didn't want to give her bad info if I was wrong.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)