MR97 problems HELP

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat K.

MR97 problems HELP

Post by Pat K. »

Ok - so I just bought a new kiln and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I also bought a new texture mold, the 12" Tree of Life. I sprayed it with MR97. I prefused the 1st one with silver iridized and black with a full fuse - the irid side down on the black, then put it on the mold and fused using Laurie Spray's schedule. It blew a bubble - my fault. The second one I didn't prefuse, put the irid side down on the mold, then black, then fused - same schedule but with a longer bubble squeeze. No bubble, BUT the MR97 stuck to the glass. My top temp was 1470 for 10 minutes. I scrubbed it off, but now there is a haze especially in the leaves that I can't scrub out. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? How can I get rid of the haze. I tried soaking in vinegar, but that did nothing. I can post a picture (I think) if anyone needs it. Thanks to everyone. I've been gone for about two months as my husband was hospitalized, and he finally had a heart transplant this past week. =D> What a miracle!

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Dick

Re: MR97 problems HELP

Post by Dick »

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still say kiln wash is better. I use BE kiln wash and have never had a sticking or devit problem.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've have limited knowledge of MR-97 but the few times I used it I had the same problem. Turns out, it's from too much sprayed on.
I wasn't able to remove the haze, and I tried everything. Wound up sandblasting.
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Thanks Valerie and Dick I'm pretty sure I used too much of the spray. I'll have to find someone that can sandblast for me. I hated it so much I gave my son my air compressor.:)

Enjoy your holiday. Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.