Second fuse??

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cmcdonald

Second fuse??

Post by cmcdonald »

I am quite new to the fused glass art world. So with that background, I would like to ask a few questions. I wanted to explore a bit using dichroic, both cut pieces and Bullseye Sizzle Stix. I made four trays, approximately 5 x 9. One is Opaque White on a Tekta base, another is Stiff Black on a Tekta base. These two have two clear Stix and 5 small triangles of CBS dichroic - exactly the same colors and thin. The next tray is Stiff Black with clear irid on top and the last one is Opaque White with clear irid on top. They each have two black Stix and the same 5 small triangles of CBS dichroic. The firing schedule I used is: 400:1000:10; 200:1370:30; 400:1480:10; AFAP:900:90; 100:700:off. The Stix on the two trays with the Tekta base are still slightly raised, the dichroic triangles have just a few slightly sorta scratchy places. The two trays with the clear irid caps have fully fused Stix however several triangles are quite rough. So, the questions are, can I achieve a totally flat, smooth surface with the Stix and Dichroic? Can/Should I refire these pieces to achieve that goal? If so, same schedule? or modify where in it? Oh, the kiln is a Pearl 22 from Paragon. I did not use dams or any sort of containment. If I refire, should I? I have attached photos of each tray - at least I think I have! When I preview, I am only seeing 3 and seems to be a limit when I try to add the fourth one. Thanks so much for any advice!
Attachments
thumb_IMG_1468_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1469_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_1467_1024.jpg
cmcdonald

Last Photo

Post by cmcdonald »

This is the last of the four photos from the previous fusing question post.
Thanks!
Attachments
thumb_IMG_1470_1024.jpg
JestersBaubles

Re: Second fuse??

Post by JestersBaubles »

I'm not quite sure I understand what picture is what firing, and exactly what you did. But anyway :mrgreen: ...

Keep in mind that metallic coatings will not fuse together. So if you are firing dichro side up and capping with irid side down, where the dichro and irid touch will not fuse together. This could potentially lead to the area being raised or rough.

Dana W.
cmcdonald

Post by cmcdonald »

The order of the photos is first white with irid; then blac on Tekta, then blac with clear irid; and last is the white on Tekta. Both pieces using irid are irid up and the dichroic is also up, I.e., them coatings do not face each other. The roughness is only on the dichroic tops and not all of them and not consistently across the pieces. I appreciate,any suggestions. I have not fired a piece twice and wish to sort out the firing schedule. Do I try the same one again?
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Some dichroic glass is just rougher after being fired. Some will splinter and tiny pieces will pop off and deposit elsewhere on your glass. Some fires satiny smooth. Some crackles. My guess is you've got glass from different manufacturers and different coatings. I see that a few of your sizzle sticks are dichro down, with their clear sides up; that's what's caused the funky edge on those.

Your top temp may not be high enough to achieve the result you're after. Monitor your firing, and peek when the glass is nearly finished. Add more time if necessary to flatten more. Oh, and keep really good firing notes!