Need slumping advice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

HeatherSal

Need slumping advice

Post by HeatherSal »

I seemed to have leaped before I looked and created a piece that is 18" round before realizing I didn't have a shallow bowl style of mold to do a gentle slump into. I don't have a stainless bowl either big enough. At this time with distance, time and money, I can not get a mold to meet my needs. I am wondering if someone could help with suggestions. I would prefer not to slump it into a vase, that will be my last choice. I have some fiberboard and blanket that could possibly be used.
Thank you for your suggestions.
Heather
linn keller

Re: Need slumping advice

Post by linn keller »

heather,
with what you have in hand, you could potentially make a drop out ring of the fiberboard. the finished (nicely smoothed) part would need to be the ring thru which the center of the glass will drop. you could plan, say a 3" rim to the bowl, so you'd need to cut a 12" hole (total diameter (18") = hole 12" + (2xrim width) 6. then you could elevate with shelf posts and let it slump to a graceful curve (requiring placement in a stand) or let it slump down onto shelf in center, giving it a flat base on which it would sit. ideally you'd want multiple shelf posts supporting it around the ring, just because of the weight of the glass.
or you could go to a sam's club, marshall's, or sim place and see about getting a stainless steel mixing bowl (quite inexpensive) or perhaps a wok of the right size. stainless steel is the key, here, so you don't have an unexpected meltdown of the "mold". if you're going to drape on this shape you wouldn't need to drill holes.
of course you'd need to kiln wash, as appropriate. i don't know what the requirements for your fiberboard would be, as that could vary depending on what it actually is, i.e. fiberboard, kaiserlee, or ???
i'm sure there are lots of other options, but those are what i'd see as your most immediate and easiest.
good luck,
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
HeatherSal

Post by HeatherSal »

Linn
Thank you for your follow up. I had thought about doing a drop ring, however my fiberboard is not large enough. I live in rural Ontario Canada so I am some what limited in resources. I never realized there were so many types of woks available.. especially Teflon coated and electric. I will do some more searching on line since all the local stores I have around here have nothing as large as I need.
Thank you again for your suggestions
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

HeatherSal wrote:Linn
Thank you for your follow up. I had thought about doing a drop ring, however my fiberboard is not large enough. I live in rural Ontario Canada so I am some what limited in resources. I never realized there were so many types of woks available.. especially Teflon coated and electric. I will do some more searching on line since all the local stores I have around here have nothing as large as I need.
Thank you again for your suggestions
In the USA, the wok to get is the Eastman stainless steel wok. there are 2 sizes These are available on Amazon. I don't know about Canadian sources. They have a flat bottom and work great.

I just looked and Eastman discontinued their stainless steel wok. Too bad. If you can find one they are excellent slump molds.
Last edited by Bert Weiss on Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Rural as in farming type rural. I've used a plough disc before with success after scuffing and coating with kiln wash. Still have it hanging up waiting for the day that it may get called back for duty. - peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Take the fiberboard and cut 4 to 5 elongated triangles out of it. Place them evenly in a circle (narrow end of triangle toward the center). Then use the fiber blanket to place over the top... Basically making a gentle, "ruffled"/wavy bowl form.

Dana W.
HeatherSal

Post by HeatherSal »

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have decided not to worry about getting it finished for next week and check out some of the suggestions you have all made. I will say that I did a road trip on Monday and stopped in two small towns, total of 14 stops without much success.. I did remember how much I hate shopping!. I will call the local farm store and see if they can help. If all else fails I think I should talk to a potter.
Thank you again
Heather