Mounting glass on metal

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Vonon

Mounting glass on metal

Post by Vonon »

I have a 2 layer 5" X 16" fused piece that I want to mount on metal to provide a background that is a little larger than the glass. I plan to use some type of standoff to elevate the glass from the metal surface. So far so good. My question is how to attach some kind of hanger to the back. My first thought was to used a cleat and glue it on. But if I want to make it easier to use with a simple wall hook like one would use to hang a framed picture would I need to have D rings or something similar welded onto the back of the metal? I want to enter this piece in a local show and think they'll be using the old nail in the carpeted wall system. Any advice?
Vonon
charlie

Re: Mounting glass on metal

Post by charlie »

glue a wooden french cleat 1/2 to the metal using silicone.

if they can use french cleats, you're good. if not, you can get a small metal plate that looks like a sawtooth for hanging pictures. you can attach that to the back of the french cleat with small screws if necessary. look in home depot in the picture hanging section for supplies.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Hang your glass is a board sponsor. They sell a system designed to do exactly what you want. http://www.hangyourglass.com/
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Thanks for the replies. The wood cleat is a great option if I think I may have to add a sawtooth with screws. I'd completely forgotten about wood as a choice. Easy to remove the sawtooth for permanent installation later. And the Hang Your Glass system is a method of choice if the gallery can accommodate it. I haven't done anything on metal before and was fixated on the possibility that welding might be required. Whew!
Vonon