Origami Mold Bad Slump

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aeshep

Origami Mold Bad Slump

Post by aeshep »

Does anyone have experience slumping into the Origami Dish Mold (10" x 9.5" x 3.5"D)?
My result does not resemble the mold at all. Just a funky shaped square. Plus, it moved off center.
292.jpg
I'm using 2 layers of BE, prefused.
I monitored the slump, waiting only for the corners to begin to relax to the mold as they were standing straight up.

Schedule in farenheit:

300/hr to 1225 - 20 min hold (overall during monitoring)
Full to 900 - 1 hour hold
100/hr to 700 - no hold
Off (my kiln cools exceptionally slow. No thermal shock worries here.)

Slower ramp up? Lower slump temp with longer hold?
Stephen Richard

Re: Origami Mold Bad Slump

Post by Stephen Richard »

Who came up with that mould?
High level of difficulty in that one, I would say.
It is probably going to take higher and longer than you expected.
You said you observed. Why did you stop the slump before it completed?
YOu may find it easier if you give the glass a gentle slump in ball mould before putting it in this one.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

That's a Slumpy's mold. Really difficult to use successfully.

They make two different sizes, the bowl you have and a dish version, which is larger and not as deep. I have very good luck with the dish version, but the bowl version is very poorly designed. It would need to be fired with a very, very long hold. Try firing to 1150F and holding for a couple of hours. Pray first. And three layers of glass would work better than two.

These molds are currently in Slumpy's bargain basement (half price), which might say something.
aeshep

Post by aeshep »

Thanks for the quick responses. Brad, as always I appreciate your expertise. I knew it looked challenging but with your input have decided it's not worth revisiting any time soon.
I wish I had known about the plate version when I ordered that mold. And yes, I did get it on sale. I'll make more informed buying decisions in future.

Stephen: Since you were kind enough to respond I'll answer your question: I stopped the slump as always, when I was satisfied with my visual check.
It looked just fine when I proceeded to anneal temp; a total guess on my part since it was my first try with this particular mold.

Learning and so grateful for folks like you who share!