OOPS!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

OOPS!

Post by jim burchett »

Lord I hate it when I leave the bubble level in the kiln :oops: Hope it didnt ruin the kiln. Not to mention how mad my wife is going to be when she gets home a smells it #-o
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
The Hobbyist

Re: OOPS!

Post by The Hobbyist »

Thanks for posting. It's reassuring to learn I'm not the only one that has done this (more than once).

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Number 2 for Me
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Been there, done that. Didn't know I had done it. Saw a little pile of ash on the blank after fusing. Wiped it off, and thought no more about it until I started looking for the level, when I put two and two together.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Smelled this one..pulled it out about 750...the interior of the kiln and the molds were Black with soot..fired it to 1450 and everything is fine little fuming on the glass but nothing major
Marty

Post by Marty »

Only once, but there was that cork-backed metal ruler. And a small brush...
Judd

Post by Judd »

On occasion I have left things. I try to identify the objects by the ash remains.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Years ago partner lit the wood heater in the studio and somehow failed to notice the kiln pyrometer sitting on top of it. That was a blessing in disguise as a Digitry controller materialized out of the ashes. Jen
Peter McCarthy

Post by Peter McCarthy »

When I first read of someone leaving a level in the kiln I thought, "how could they be so negligent?" Fast forward several months... My wife calls up to me from the basement, "Do you have something weird in the kiln. It smells funny down here." I now have a check box in my firing schedule sheet saying "level is in its proper location."
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Been there, done that.

I even posted a picture here years ago, asking to guess what it was. It looked like a cool piece of bubble glass.

I caught it before it got too hot , it was destroyed but interesting.
Rick Wilton