melting frit to make a single piece of glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Thomas Decker

melting frit to make a single piece of glass

Post by Thomas Decker »

If I take glass that is from the same company, in this case Kokomo and frit scrap pieces( not necessarily from the same sheet ) but the same color into a fine frit, and than take them up to a full fuse in a mold and form 1 piece of glass will they be compatible since I have now made a single piece of glass?
The Hobbyist

Re: melting frit to make a single piece of glass

Post by The Hobbyist »

no
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

No is the easiest answer. Probably the most accurate is "it depends." If all the pieces of glass that you broke up to make the frit came from the same batch, i.e., they were all poured into sheets from the same melt, yes. If the pieces came from different batches but formulations and processing were essentially the same so that the COE was very close, then yes, most likely. What you're really after is whether or not all those pieces of glass will continue to fit together without stress throughout the heating/cooling cycle.

The less certain you are that you can unequivocally say yes, they will, the less likely you'll have a compatible piece of glass at the end.

If you get those pieces hot enough to fully melt together, they will become one piece of glass with the same characteristics, and therefore compatible. However, the glass must fully melt, which is way past full fuse temps (usually no higher than 1500-1550F or so). Typically, this is more like 2200-2400F. At those temps, other properties, such as COE, color, opacity, etc., can also change. (sorry, didn't finish that last word so I came back and added it later...)
Last edited by Morganica on Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Mine is mostly antique glass scraps in small crescent shapes that are hard to handle and of limited value in mosaics, which I don't want to make anyway. I've found that the best thing to do with glass like that is to sort it by color and store it in Rubbermaid bins. My children can then wonder the same thing for a moment or two before they throw it away after I die. The Rubbermaid tubs I'm hoping will be reusable.
Tod

Post by Tod »

Keep the bins out of direct sunlight or even those will have to get tossed in the dumpster!
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don, over many years I carefully sorted, stored and labelled mine in square biscuit tins which I'd source at garage sales and thrift shops. (They stack nicely). Just prior to the Big Move I gave it all away, tins and all, to a stranger who said who was going to use them for mosaics......showed up loaded all into her vehicle and barely said thank you as she eyed up the full sheets of Bullseye and asked if I wanted to 'get rid of those, too'.

I've started again, just can't bear to throw out any over about 1"x1". Guess I'm doomed to seeking therapy or having to will them to someone, or mosaic something (garden gnome?) :roll: Jen
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Jen, maybe all the unused but loved and sheltered shards come together into one immense radiant biscuit tin of compatibility just before the moment of the great final event and creation of the new universe. I'd like to think so.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I always find it easy to locate someone who wants leftovers for mosaics or suncatchers. All you have to say is "it's FREE" and it finds a new home fast! :lol:
"The Glassman"
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don Burt wrote:Jen, maybe all the unused but loved and sheltered shards come together into one immense radiant biscuit tin of compatibility just before the moment of the great final event and creation of the new universe. I'd like to think so.
Thank you, Don (B). I'll hold that beautiful, uplifting thought close to my heart, or, maybe I'll keep it in a biscuit tin.

Don (Mc) No problem finding a home for free stuff. The problem is separation anxiety, especially from the unique and pretty pieces that are the remnants of a hideously expensive sheet of glass. :(