FTC Error Message on Paragon Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Judd

FTC Error Message on Paragon Kiln

Post by Judd »

OK, this is more kiln related.
I tried calling Paragon, but they don't have business hours on Friday.

So, I programed and fired my school's kiln, a Paragon Dragon. I programed a 300 DPH cool down. I got the FTC message because the kiln naturally cools slower than 300 DPH.

OK, so my question.

We got the error message, but the kiln continued to cool down as per the program, or as closely as possible, right?

We fired pottery and glass, and the kiln had already gone through the anneal zone, but... I'm not sure. This is my students' stuff. I just need reassurance here.

Come on guys. Help a fellow artist out.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: FTC Error Message on Paragon Kiln

Post by Brad Walker »

Judd wrote:OK, this is more kiln related.
I tried calling Paragon, but they don't have business hours on Friday.

So, I programed and fired my school's kiln, a Paragon Dragon. I programed a 300 DPH cool down. I got the FTC message because the kiln naturally cools slower than 300 DPH.

OK, so my question.

We got the error message, but the kiln continued to cool down as per the program, or as closely as possible, right?

We fired pottery and glass, and the kiln had already gone through the anneal zone, but... I'm not sure. This is my students' stuff. I just need reassurance here.

Come on guys. Help a fellow artist out.
You're fine, no problem, don't worry about it.

Flaw in the Orton controller on the Paragon kilns.
Arnold Howard

Re: FTC Error Message on Paragon Kiln

Post by Arnold Howard »

The Dragon cannot cool at a rate of 300 degrees F per hour, because the walls are thick. (An inch of block insulation is mounted behind the 3" firebricks.) The error code indicates that you programmed a cooling rate that is faster than the kiln is capable of reaching. The error code is merely there to let you know that you should program a slower cooling rate next time.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com