What's latest word on kiln use & pacemakers?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Carol Cohen

What's latest word on kiln use & pacemakers?

Post by Carol Cohen »

Hello, fellow slumpers; I've been away for a long time, just doing my work. But now I need your help and advice.

A few months ago a cardiac pacemaker was implanted in me and while I'd love to get back to using my big kiln for slumping glass, I'm afraid! I am afraid of somehow messing up my little computerized pacemaker and then slumping, myself.

I read the one thread here about pacemakers but the advice varied. Does anyone know any more, in the 2-3 years since that thread? My cardiologist, a nice (but condescending) lady says it'll all be fine. The website for the pacemaker co. (Medtronic) generalizes like crazy. I need to know:
1) Can I go right up to the kiln and look through the peepholes while it's on?
2) Would it be safer if I turn the kiln off temporarily, peep in, then close it and turn it on again?
3) Kiln controller is a Digitry GB-1; can I get close to that?
4) Is there a protective vest or garment that keeps electromagnetic rad. from going through my chest?

I'd be grateful for whatever you all can tell me.

Carol Cohen
Bert Weiss

Re: What's latest word on kiln use & pacemakers?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Carol, I would call Digitry and ask. They are engineers and should have a clue.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Carol Cohen

Post by Carol Cohen »

I did call Ron (Shapiro) at Digitry up in Maine, got sent to an answering machine, and haven't heard back. He's probably on Xmas vacation. Hmmm.... maybe I should try to call his bro-in-law Andy Magdanz, here in Cambridge.
Whatever I find out, I'll post on warmglass.com - we're all getting older (what!? not you??) and pacemakers may be in the future of other warmglass people.

Carol
Carol Cohen

Post by Carol Cohen »

Me again -- I phoned the Medtronic Co. which makes the pacemaker. They looked it up and said they recommended staying at least 24 inches away from the kiln. But if I get nearer (which I have to do, to look into peepholes to judge slumpingness), the pacemaker will be affected but will re-set itself when I move away. And that I should make it short peeps in, just a few seconds. And turning off the kiln for a short peek will not stop the energy. And that there's no insulating clothing or device that keeps electromagnetic energy from just COURSING through your body.

Next I hope to hear from Digitry. They might be able to be more specific about distance, timing and what energy the controller is radiating.

After that I may have to consider hiring a studio assistant, to operate the kiln. Or sell the kiln (sob).
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

If you are not sure about the safety of your pacemaker around your kiln, then turn off the kiln when you visually check the glass. Turn the kiln back on a few seconds later after you've checked the glass.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
Carol Cohen

Post by Carol Cohen »

Arnold, I'm confused! If I turn off the kiln for a few seconds, does that stop the radiation of electromagnetic energy? I read somewhere that the energy still is being produced by the hot coils. Not?

Carol
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

The elements do not produce electromagnetic interference when they are turned off. This is true of even hot elements. The relays can produce a signal when they are clicking, or turned on.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com