firing schedules for powder enamels on large pieces

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

raphy

firing schedules for powder enamels on large pieces

Post by raphy »

Hello,

I just took a class on enamels which I thoroughly enjoyed. The firing schedule given to me for the small projects we did was going up as fast as possible to 1525, and holding for 20 mins then down again 9999.

I would like to take what I learned and do large pieces say 17x20 and layer up to three pieces of glass Bullseye 90, to do a take on abstract art, but have no idea how the colors would hold or even if I could fire at such a fast pace with larger projects.
If anyone could help me out with this I would be really grateful. Another thing is when looking to buy paints, some say low fire, high fire and medium, not sure what to buy for my larger projects and which are the best ones.

Thank you, Ruth
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: firing schedules for powder enamels on large pieces

Post by Brad Walker »

What kind of enamels?
raphy

Post by raphy »

They are powdered enamels from Thompson.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Most thompson enamels do not work well with glass. They are not high enough in pigments to work in a thin layer.
Our enamels as well as Sunshine are very highly pigmented, thus can be applied in thin enough layers to work well in most applications.
Note: as long as the temperature goes over the maturation temperature of the enamel (in Kaiser Glass enamels it is 1350°F) the firing will go fine. You can ignore any effect of the added enamel and just fire the glass for the effect you desire.
Note also: very few Thompsons enamels are powdered (325 or 425 mesh). Most are 80.

Barry
raphy

Post by raphy »

Thank you for your advice on the enamels, I did not know that and will look into Kaiser. However I am still not clear on a firing schedule, do you go fast or slow, or is it the same as if you just used glass with no paint? The ASAP with the small pieces and Thompson enamel has me confused. Thanks again.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

fire with your normal bullseye schedules. ASAP will work for tiny bits of glass but not for big pieces.
Take notes, observe, take more notes.
Thompson enamels will work, you just have to learn to use them.
If you find you need finer ground enamels for painting purposes, then order it from Thompson made that way and mix with mediums that Thompson suggests using.
raphy

Post by raphy »

Thank you Kevin, that makes it much clearer.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Thompson makes many different lines of enamels, all of which are ground colored glass frits, compatible with different substrates including different glasses. Once the layer of enamel is thick enough, incompatibility will cause cracking.

On every single glass fusion project, you can fire as fast as possible without cracking any of the glass. Sometimes that is quick but often it requires slowing down. Thompson enamels are made the same way Bullseye or System 96 frits are made. They are simply ground colored glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
raphy

Post by raphy »

Thank you, I understand now, I appreciate it. On to my new journey.
raphy

Post by raphy »

I am probably driving you crazy, I think the paints I used were fuse master, not Thompson. would the above work with them too. Sorry :(
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

raphy wrote:I am probably driving you crazy, I think the paints I used were fuse master, not Thompson. would the above work with them too. Sorry :(
Fusemaster is entirely different. Their colors are a clear glass frit mixed with metallic oxides. They do not generally do well when applied as powder. They are designed to be applied as paint, mixed with a medium and binder. They are compatible with all glasses, because they only require a thin application. Be sure to fire within the recommended temperature range for the colors you are using.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Judd

Post by Judd »

I like Fusemaster and have had great success with Yellow, Blue and Green at any color. Red and Orange can be a pain in the ass.