Using Cricut to cut dicro slide

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

Using Cricut to cut dicro slide

Post by peterbr »

Has anyone used the scrapbook cutting machines like Cricut to cut out shapes and objects out of dicro slide. If so, how did it come out?

Thanks,

Peter Brown
linn keller

Re: Using Cricut to cut dicro slide

Post by linn keller »

yes, i have used a silhouette cameo. like anything there's a learning curve but it's easy to pick up. the things that take a little time are the adjustments for the depth of the cut and the speed of the cut. the slide comes out with a nice smooth/crisp edge. i prefer not to use a tremendously sticky sheet to put the slide on for cutting so i'll put a piece of clean cotton t-shirt on it a few times to make it slightly less tacky. the thinner the material, the less tacky sheet i prefer. if it's intricate you will spend some time picking it off so there are no tears - it's one of those p-a-t-i-e-n-c-e moments, at least for me. there is a Facebook group "glass fusers with die cutters" or something like that - not lots of posts, but some good/instructive files, hints, etc. you will have to join the group to access the files. there are also quite a number of youtube videos of the "how-to" variety.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
peterbr

Re: Using Cricut to cut dicro slide

Post by peterbr »

Linn,

Any interest in cutting me like 10 or 12 pieces? Let me know.

Peter