Sandblast Resist

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Crider

Sandblast Resist

Post by Terry Crider »

I have been using vinyl that I get from a Sign Shop and they cut the designs for me.
Most of the time, I'm working with flat glass or cylinder shapes and the vinyl works fine.
I'm working with some bulbous/sphere-like shapes --- the vinyl will bend one way O.K
but, when I try to press the rest of it down, it wrinkles.
Is there a thin rubber or some other material that will work better for shapes like this?
I don't need anything like the thick Butter Cut stuff --- most of my blasting is just a heavy "etch".
Thanks
Terry
Tony Smith

Re: Sandblast Resist

Post by Tony Smith »

Anchor makes rubber resist that can stretch to fit a contour better than vinyl. The downside is that you can't precut the stencil. You'll have to cut it after its applied to the glass. You can find it in sandblasting supply shops.

http://www.itape.com/en/products/STENCIL

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Ed Cantarella

Re: Sandblast Resist

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Plasti-Dip - found at almost any hardware. MAde for coating your plier handles and such. I've done blasting using anything from duct tape to sticker material. If it is rubbery the particles bounce. If it's hard it gets etched.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plasti-Dip-S ... 00&veh=sem

Plati-Dip: In some places young people think it's trendy/cool to coat their ENTIRE car. Except the glass. :lol: They think it has that "Special Ops", military look. Me, I just grew my hair down to my waist and played rock- n-roll. Kids!
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.