Imprints/Flat slumping

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SaloM33

Imprints/Flat slumping

Post by SaloM33 »

Hello!
I have a project on some large sheets of glass (float, 50x50"). I need to imprint on dry plaster and fire 2 sheets at once. What can I use for the bed and what kind of separator between sheets?
Devit problems?... and a fire schedule for an electric kiln...
I have in my studio whiting, kaolin, alumina hydrate, quarz sand, plaster of Paris
Thanks!
SaloM33

Re: Imprints/Flat slumping

Post by SaloM33 »

Nobody?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I use finely ground alumina hydrate instead of dry plaster. For the bed to make the imprints in, I use a mixture of sand and alumina hydrate, about 25% alumina by weight. I would use alumina between the sheets. I have done this, just as I describe, and then resin laminated the 2 sheets of 10mm float to make a hurricane proof safety glass insert for a door in Florida. It all worked out well.

Maybe you can get away with plaster between the sheets, I don't know? One of the reasons I use alumina is that it is reusable over and over, while plaster will soon wear out and leave scum on the glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
SaloM33

Post by SaloM33 »

Thank's Bert !
2 more things: about the sand: not to rough for this ? I need a flat, fine surface between imprints
Do you remember your firing schedule? I will use 2 sheets of 3mm float glass