large kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

AJK25

large kiln

Post by AJK25 »

I have 3 mid size kilns, and I'm thinking about purchasing a larger kiln...something that can handle at least 8 pieces of 12" x 12" x 9mm glass. So I want something with an interior shelf of at least 28" x 56". I've read through the archives on this site, and am more confused than ever. There are so many choices for kilns. Just wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions. Fiber vs brick? Where to purchase?

Thanks.
Buttercup

Re: large kiln

Post by Buttercup »

Kiln, front view.JPG
I, too, have three kilns and have a large kiln for sale. Where are you?? I'm in SE Queensland so picking it up might be a problem if you're in the US. I'm taking offers, highest will take it. Jen
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I want that big green kiln but I can't have it
Marty

Post by Marty »

Don- build one.
AJK25

Post by AJK25 »

Queensland is in Australia,right? If so, not gonna work. I'm in Chicago (U.S.). But it looks pretty cool.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fiber all the way. Brick floor is acceptable. I just built a kiln a bit larger than you are looking for. What is your budget? Message me to talk more about it.

Bert
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Yes, Queensland is in Australia.

Don, for you, just pay the freight and as a 'thank you ' for all the good advice you provide I'll send it to you! Jen
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

Hey Jen, can I ask wh you are getting rid of that kiln? I've always thought that design is very nice but you don't see it around much. Is it difficult to use?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Chris. I just haven't needed to use it. Everything I've done so far has fit in one of the smaller kilns. I got it because I wanted to make some large panels for the house we are building but the design changed and so it didn't get used. (That's the problem when you're building it yourselves, part time...too many opportunities for new ideas. Any project that isn't actually underway is fair game for revision. I counter comments that I change my mind a lot with the reasonable response that I've just had more than one idea in my life!)

I'm not sorry that no-one has made an offer. (Maybe advertising it in the Gardening section had something to do with that). The base of the kiln runs out very smoothly on its rails and it would be nice to use because you don't have to duck your head under the raised top, which I think would make me nervous. (I think it's called guillotineophobia ). It has large bung holes at the ends for viewing the interior while it's firing. The winch that raises the top works smoothly.

Sorry I can't tell you more, Chris. It's not wired in but if I do fire it I'll report back.Jen