Slumping into the smaller deep bowl mold set

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nikki ONeill

Slumping into the smaller deep bowl mold set

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Does anyone have experience slumping in Creative Ceramic's smaller deep vessel set of three molds? Bullseye sells them on special order.
There is an inner and outer wall on the second and third mold. Has anyone tried manipulating these in the kiln during the slump? Seems the design would insulate the glass so that slumping would take much longer.
Babette (Shawn)

Re: Slumping into the smaller deep bowl mold set

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

can you post photos (or a link to the photos) of the molds, so we know for certain which molds you are referring to?
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Nikki ONeill

Re: Slumping into the smaller deep bowl mold set

Post by Nikki ONeill »

Babette, the website for the molds, descriptions, and suggested firing schedules is on the Creative Ceramics.com website. They list the molds under "new" and the three are called Bowl 2, step I, II, and III. Bowl 2 step 1 mold is similar to the regular ball molds that Bullseye stocks but a slightly different size. It's very nice. All can be special ordered from Bullseye. I have a piece slumping as we speak in Bowl 2 step II, and will send a pic. Problem is that these last two molds are so much heavier than the original, larger set of "K Harron" molds for these last two slumps, that they would be hard to manipulate while in the kiln at process temperature. I decided not to try manipulating this time, and let the piece go wonky if that's what happens.
Cheers