CLOUDY BOTTLES.......HELP PLEASE!!!!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lanie

CLOUDY BOTTLES.......HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Post by lanie »

Hello, Can anyone help me please.......I melt bottles in my kiln and am having a problem with them being cloudy when they are done, can anyone tell me how to avoid this problem? I also use decals on them so I need something that won't ruin the decal. I have heard about something called SPRAY A and BORAX, if either of these would help how would I use them? Also I use these bottles for food after they are done, would this cause a problem in any way??????
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

Hi lanie
I do this all the time, just put a spoon of Borax in half a cup of warm water, brush the half of the bottle yhat won´t touch the shelf and wait till it´s dry (few minutes, if the water is warm). You can brush over the decals, if they are already dry, no problems. You just can´t let the borax touch the side of the bottle that will touch the shelf...
I use to do it in two times, cause my decals fire at 720 degrees celcius. I fuse the bottle, without borax, no matter it´s cloudy... Then I apply the decal and it goes again to the kiln. I do a kind of pot to snaks with some of my bottles, so I fire them with the decal over a mould.
Hope I was clear, my english is not so good :oops:
The right forum for this question is the Kiln-forming Discussion...
Big hug
Luiza
whitejoyce

Post by whitejoyce »

Hi ladies,
I want to do something more with my bottles, can I ask for more suggestions from you, I mean other than the cheese tray's & ash tray's.

What do you do with your bottles?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
J. White
whitejoyce

Post by whitejoyce »

Hi Lanie,

I tried to send you email address. whitejoycox.net
about more on how to create with the bottles.

Hope you understand,
J. White
Luiza

Post by Luiza »

whitejoyce wrote:Hi Lanie,

I tried to send you email address. whitejoycox.net
about more on how to create with the bottles.

Hope you understand,
Please, send it to me too.
glass1@uol.com.br

Thanks
Luiza
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

I'd like to have the ideas for bottles, too, please.

pat@glassbypat.com

Thanks in advance,
Pat Loboda
tel

Post by tel »

Hi J White

I'd love to have that information as well if you don't mind sending it to me. I'd appreciate it.

Thank you Tess

tlilly@innoqual.com :D
Last edited by tel on Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay

Bottles

Post by Kay »

Would you add me to your list?
Thanks!
Kay

TomKayC@aol.com
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Please, please, please, if you want to contact someone do it via email or via private message, rather than posted on the board.

To do this, simply click on the button that says "PM" (for "private message" or "Email" (for "email") that's at the bottom of every post on the board. That will send either a message or an email directly to the poster. It also frees up disk space on the board for glass discussion and topics.

Another advantage of doing this is that it keeps everyone's email address private, rather than posted on a public forum. If you post your email address publicly, then you are increasing the likelihood that it will be harvested and used to send you spam. If you click on the PM or Email button, the addresses stay private and can't be harvested.

Thanks for understanding.