I'm looking for info

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Joe Wokovich

I'm looking for info

Post by Joe Wokovich »

I swore I’d never do bottles again, but I have an order for 15 cases of wine bottles to slump and shape.
I didn’t like doing these things because of the time and mess of removing labels. I thought I remembered a post or tip sheet I read that talked about a solution that was applied with
a brush, you let it set and the label adhesive dissolved and you scooped the junk off and cleaned the bottles.
Anyone have an idea what this goop is? ( a senior moment, could this be wall paper stripper?)

Thanks, Joe
“If you tell me, I will forget.
If you show me, I will remember.
If you let me do it, I will understand."

And then tomorrow I can start all over again
linn keller

Re: I'm looking for info

Post by linn keller »

joe,
i've used wd40 to remove labels from lots of things, although not necessarily for fusing bottles. i soak in water first to soften and remove the "easy part" and then squirt the wd40 on the adhesive and whatever doesn't want to come off easily. after a short time the adhesive, etc., can easily be wiped off with paper towel.
someone may have what you remember and it may be an easier way. must admit, 15 cases....that's a lot of labels. good luck!
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Tons of ideas on Google.

Here's one from a blogger I trust:
http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/201 ... ttles.html
Andrea R

Post by Andrea R »

I need this info to !!
Cheers,
Andrea
"C'est Moi (Its Me)"
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

you can' buy blank bottles, no labels from several bottle suppliers. Some years ago, I had an order of cutting off the tops of 1500 1.75L bottles and purchased blank bottles and then had them decorated with the customer's logo. It might be worth it to save the time and mess.