large kiln preference

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Barbel

large kiln preference

Post by Barbel »

I have procrastinated long enough, or even too long, before committing to increase the power supply in my studio and buying a larger kiln. My 240V Olympic 314TLC with a 23" shelf cannot accommodate the panels I have been asked to make. I have researched and read all threads on this forum related to this topic and since I do not have the option of building my own kiln,as often suggested in this forum, I have looked for the following options in this next kiln: Clam shell opening, fiber lid, quartz elements and Mercury or solid state relays, inside dimensions approx 48x30 or at least 48x24.
After reading some not so favorite comments about the Denver kilns being prone to rusting (I live in coastal NC on the water), I rejected the Denver option. I have 3 Olympic kilns and I am very happy with them, so I had pretty much decided to order the Olympic GF10 with the above mentioned options. However, recently a member of this forum sold her 3 year old Olympic GF8. I have tried to contact the forum member to find out the reason for selling (maybe not being satisfied with the kiln would prevent me from having the same problems?). Unfortunately I have not heard from her.
Therefore I do hope you can relate to my question: does anybody have an Olympic GF 8 or GF10 and if so, are you happy with your kiln or do you have any qualms about it?
Alternatively, do you have any suggestions for other kilns available with my specifications.
Thank you,
Barbel
Kevin Midgley

Re: large kiln preference

Post by Kevin Midgley »

check your messages
tboysen

Re: large kiln preference

Post by tboysen »

I have a Denver KL 50 and I like it, no rust but I am in TN. Had it now 12 plus years. My only complaint is the lid. It is a fiber board top on the inside and one large sheet of thin metal on the outside with nothing to support the lid from sagging. I had another teacher store a project on it (used it like a table) and the lid sags into the coils. Probably will not hurt anything, Denver said it would not, but I am leery of stressing the system. I can rebuild cheaply though which is nice.

Paragon has the pearl series.. Worth a check..