Kiln shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Chris Lowry

Kiln shelves

Post by Chris Lowry »

So what do people use for large kiln shelves and dams? Where do you buy such products?

I need a kiln shelf 27 x 39...

Seems like Euclid has a great extruded shelf and dam but shipping to Hawaii is $1,000.

I can get a corelite shelf from Olympic kilns with an ok shipping price but they don't have dams.

Do corelite shelves hold up, do you need to support them a lot?

Do you think I could cut a corelite shelf and make my own dams?

I need help
Kevin Midgley

Re: Kiln shelves

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Given your physical location and the difficulties of getting a shelf to Hawaii why do you not rethink the whole situation?
Do you really need a kiln shelf or could alternative firing methods work?
You have terrifyingly high electricity rates so why do you want to add thermal mass to your kiln?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Chris Lowry wrote:I can get a corelite shelf from Olympic kilns with an ok shipping price but they don't have dams.

Do corelite shelves hold up, do you need to support them a lot?

Do you think I could cut a corelite shelf and make my own dams?
You can make dams with any kiln shelf and a tile saw. No need to do that with a core lite shelf.

The core lite shelves hold up fine, just as well as a regular shelf. (In fact, I think they hold up better than the extruded shelves like Euclid sells.)

You might also want to look at a fiber shelf. Lighter, doesn't require as much electricity to fire.
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

I would consider anything that works... What is a good fiber shelf?

I'm mostly taking blown objects and fusing them together... Ending up with 1" to 2" thick larger panels. This means the shelf needs to withstand the weight and hopefully last a long time.

The dams I have now are 5/8" by 1 1/2" I really wanted something 2" by 2", just seems like they would hold up better for the longer lengths, around 30".
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

flat on floor of kiln so it can't warp downwards.
I would try an Armstrong Ceramaguard 2x4' ceiling tile which you may find low cost at a Restore or free at an office building with a chipped off corner.
You want the smooth not the fissured or holed surface of course.
You'll figure out how to use it. There are a few tricks. Prefire.
Chris Lowry

Post by Chris Lowry »

But my kiln has elements on the bottom... New kiln so never used. Don't I need to hold the shelf up off the floor?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Elements on the bottom, or at the bottom of the walls?