Aussies 1mm fibre paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Fiona Collins

Aussies 1mm fibre paper

Post by Fiona Collins »

I've been using this chinese product (CCE wool) for the last week and am very happy with it. Crackle, wafers are both good, no embedded residue when I pot melt (920c) straight onto it. I vent to 440c and use the furrier side up. No affliation just a heads up, also got a roll of 1" blanket for moulds, haven't tried it yet
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CE-ceramic-f ... 1810132543?
Kevin Midgley

Re: Aussies 1mm fibre paper

Post by Kevin Midgley »

sounds great but..... what are you doing and how are you handling the 3-5micron sized particles in your studio. Got hepa filtration running all the time?

Interestingly I can find the same stuff with free shipping from Ontario on ebay.ca however the listing here does not mention the small particle sizing.
certainly an intriguing product.

So what have you figured out for safety procedures in handling?
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

Hi Kevin
I'm a smoker (shame Fiona shame) so am already high risk for lung disease, when I first started using KL board I was horrified by the amount of dust I was exposed to, ditto fired papyrus. While they've run all sorts of tests on fibre products and say it's relatively safe I'm pretty sure they said the same about asbestos back in the day. 24/7 hepa filtration isn't an option in my workshop so I use the following :-

1. Mask, always. Not one of those dicky nuisance dust masks, the 3M 8233 N100, HEPA Particulate Respirator is good
2. Misting bottle, I work wet as much as possible, damp newspaper on work surfaces, give the kiln and shelves a spray before pulling anything out and mist products while handling, I've found paper and blanket can get quite wet and will dry out fine, the amount I spray in the kiln is minimal (much less than produced by a bisque fire) and it dries out in no time.
3. Bin with 2" of distilled water and oil of cloves (stops mold growing), all used fibre goes in the bin, one of these days I'm going to pulp it, add a treacle solution for binding and re-use it
4. Wooden benchtops - oiled, any dust that makes it onto my workbenches absorbs the oil which renders it sort of granular easily swept/vacced up
5. Car and shop vacs with hepa filters

Here's a link to the CCE MSDS http://www.cndoubleegret.com/msds/
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Hi Fiona, am I missing something? If so, sorry. What is the 'Aussies' connection/reference about, please? I didn't see it in the eBay ad. Apologies if I've missed something obvious. Jen
Fiona Collins

Post by Fiona Collins »

Hi Jen, listing is ebay australia, the free freight makes it a good deal if you're in australia and can't purchase locally
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Huh!! Thanks Fiona. Jen
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

On viewing the site I see this:
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 11.59.15 AM.png

The internationally accepted meaning of this symbol is this:
A..png
When challenged Chinese exporters say it means 'Chinese Export.'