0146 BE steel blue question.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim simmons

0146 BE steel blue question.

Post by jim simmons »

I have searched the archives both new and old, and ran across a posting from Lani that explained the process, but it didn't address my particular situation.

I have a commission to make a project with BE 0146 steel blue Tack fused on the surface. I understand that this is a very unstable glass and should be tested whenever you use a different run. I would like to do this, but the customer is in a hurry, and I would rather not put him off for a couple of days while I figgure this thing out.

I want the glass to remain blue.

My tack temp will be about 1350, which is right in the middle of the color shift.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with an overglaze such as spray a, super spray, or bending glaze to prevent the color shift.

And if they have, what were the results?

Capping with clear is not an option.

Thanks.
Jim
Jenefer Ham

Post by Jenefer Ham »

I'd suggest sprinkling fine clear on top. What I've assumed is the silvery "oxidation" effect only occurs for me when it's not been capped with something. Even a thin layer of fine clear has worked.
=) Jenefer
PDXBarbara

Re: 0146 BE steel blue question.

Post by PDXBarbara »

jim simmons wrote: I would like to do this, but the customer is in a hurry,
Hi Jim... try a fast test in your Quick-Fire with the little controller you made. (Yeah, yeah, you already thought of that and there's a real good reason not to, etc....right?)

Would a color close to steel blue -- like 0164 -- be close enough for jazz?
xxoo
Barbara
Barbara Bader
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Jim

It will most likely turn silver at 1350. I've seen it turn as low as 1175 during a slump.

What I would try is something like bending glaze or "back magic". Cut your glass and finish any edges and then apply the glaze and tack fuse.

If you can find the Ferro Frit #3419, it melts starting at 1000 and has a nice gloss by about 1200 f. Check local pottery suppliers. I have used it on steel blue and it works.

Ron
jim simmons

Re: 0146 BE steel blue question.

Post by jim simmons »

PDXBarbara (Bader) wrote:
jim simmons wrote: I would like to do this, but the customer is in a hurry,
Hi Jim... try a fast test in your Quick-Fire with the little controller you made. (Yeah, yeah, you already thought of that and there's a real good reason not to, etc....right?)

Would a color close to steel blue -- like 0164 -- be close enough for jazz?
xxoo
Barbara
Yo, Barb. I did just that, but the results were inconclusive. After talkimg to BE, it was decided that I had to do a test of every new batch in the same kiln and same firing schedule that the main project was going through. They said it was a product of time, temperature and atmosphere.

It is going in the kiln today with Bending glaze like Ron suggested. [-o<

Jim
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Ron Coleman wrote:Jim

It will most likely turn silver at 1350. I've seen it turn as low as 1175 during a slump.

What I would try is something like bending glaze or "back magic". Cut your glass and finish any edges and then apply the glaze and tack fuse.

Ron
Thanks, Ron. I will try the bending glaze, as that is what I have.
Jim
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Back Magic (if that's what you have) will definitely change the surface of the glass. If you're looking for a shine, you won't get it, but if you're looking to not change colors, then it might work.