Kiln Pieces in Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

brucieblackburn

Kiln Pieces in Glass

Post by brucieblackburn »

Hi there! I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions on kiln pieces found on glass once fully fused. I vacuum out thoroughly and shut the lid very carefully as to not cause anything to fall. I have experienced small black flecks and white flecks on my glass. They are not all over the pieces, but you will find a small fleck on one or two. I am not sure if the black spots are from the coils or not. I know the white fleck is obviously from top of kiln. Has anyone ever experienced this? Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent it? I know this is something that can happen, but it seems to be happening more and more when I fire. I am firing at a full fuse temperature. I can provide pictures if needed. Thank you!
The Hobbyist

Re: Kiln Pieces in Glass

Post by The Hobbyist »

Use a ceramics kiln.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Sounds like you have stainless steel components that are gradually degrading. Thus the black bits
Sounds like you have a fibreboard lid structure that is gradually degrading. Thus the white bits.
Of course you have provided minimal information about the kiln so you will get a minimal answer.
Often the simplest answer is to sell the kiln and buy a different design and or get it rebuilt or fire differently as in no crash cooling or peeking. :shock:

With your connections at CMOG they should be able to provide some answers as well.
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

What type of top does your kiln have? Are the white flecks coming from cracks in the top?

Have you tried cleaning the top with a brush? The brush removes loose particles, which can then be vacuumed before the next firing.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

I had a similar problem and found that the spot where the element end was pinned to the rim of the lid was pulling loose. When I ordered the kiln (Skutt Clamshell) I asked for a window to be included and I believe that weakened the brick right where the element pin goes in. Now I'm careful to check that area before firing and don't leave the lid in the open position unless necessary due to gravity coaxing the element coils away from where they are pinned.
Vonon