Kiln paper after it's fired

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

WaveTreeGlass

Kiln paper after it's fired

Post by WaveTreeGlass »

What do you all do with kiln paper after it's been fired and it's dusty or in pieces? I've a nearly full waste container of the stuff and wondering what I need to do to dispose of it properly. It's mostly Bullseye Thin Fire.
Thanks!
JestersBaubles

Re: Kiln paper after it's fired

Post by JestersBaubles »

Close it up tightly and toss it in the trash.

It is not toxic or hazardous and thus, does not present an environmental risk, based on their MSDS: https://www.dlartglass.com/PDFs/MSDS/BE%208210.PDF

The biggest thing is to avoid breathing it.

Dana W.
JamesL

Post by JamesL »

I keep a 5 gallon bucket of water near my kiln half filled with water. I periodically add to it to keep a level. When i'm done firing, I tilt the shelf over the bucket and usually the whole piece slides off the shelf. Sometimes I have to help it with a plastic spatula. You don't want to scratch your shelf. It settles at the bottom under the water. Depending on how much you fire, you can literally put years worth of paper in there!. When you want to dispose of it, let the water evaporate to near zero and toss the bucket. Easy and neat!
WaveTreeGlass

Post by WaveTreeGlass »

Thank you Dana and James! Will add this to my weekend projects list! :wink:
Karen
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

I rarely handle spent thin fire. HEPA vacuum with it's exhaust pointed at one of the exhaust blower inlets. Spent fiber cloth goes in garbage(gently), then is sprayed good with water. I spray some water into the garbage can every time I go in our work area - that's what plastic liners are for. I got on a serious dust control kick after someone else chided me for being paranoid. :lol:
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.