1/4" granite textured clear glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Terry Gallentine

1/4" granite textured clear glass?

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I need some 1/4" granite textured clear glass for a restoration project but I am having a problem finding any. I have the thinner granite clear but the customer wants thicker. Does anybody out there know of a source for this or am I going to have to kiln form it myself?
Tod

Re: 1/4" granite textured clear glass?

Post by Tod »

I suggest contacting any "clear glass" shops or hardware stores in your area, too. Especially the older ones as that new Rocky's or HD/Loew's aren't good bets.
Also, larger glass studios may have something like that.
Would your customer accept something between 1/8 & 1/4? How much do you need? This info might help folks here decide if they can help you.
Good luck - Tod
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book
Terry Gallentine

I have already contacted the larger commercial suppliers in my area (Mpls/St. Paul) and have had no luck with getting either 3/16" or 1/4". They all seem to only handle a double strength clear textured similar to the Spectrum granite.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Uroborus glass may be the source. Their granite ripple by the time you take the ripples into account is probably 1/4" in thickness.
Terry Gallentine

Thanks Kevin but they want a heavier glass. I am going to try fusing a Spectrum clear granite to a Spectrum smooth clear after creating a plaster mold to maintain the texture at fusing temps.