How to polish a tiny spot

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Don Burt

How to polish a tiny spot

Post by Don Burt »

I get an occasional spot of crap on my otherwise clear glass. If I remove the crap with a little diamond bit, e.g. a 220 grit burr from HIS Glassworks, I now have a little white spot. Is there a way to polish this little speck so that I will have a little polished divot instead of a white dot?
DonMcClennen

Re: How to polish a tiny spot

Post by DonMcClennen »

Try a little spot of clear nail polish
"The Glassman"
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

use a razor blade.
won't leave a divot.
If the blade doesn't remove it so you cannot feel it, you have a problem!
If you worry about scratching, round off the corners of the blade first so it won't scratch.
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

If you have a tiny whitish spot after using a 220 grit burr. I found those rubberised polishing burrs messy, and hard to keep to a small spot. If you have a drill with a collet chuck, I love my foredom, you can use small wood or bamboo pieces in it with loose grit. 400 or finer then pumice or cerium. Matches or I get thin bamboo from sushi mats. Reason I prefer the collet is if it breaks it's easy to get the broken bit out. A bit of water, gently. If your drill has bigger collets, Foredom again, You can use 1/4 inch dowel shaped to a round end or a point. Very precise. (engravers can get anal over detail)
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Don, could you paint something (a fig leaf?) over the offending spot and then refire?

Your artwork is usually very organic so modifying the design slightly might be a lot less arduous than trying to get back to shiny clear glass.

Jen
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

220 seems fairly aggressive (to me :) ). 800 grit burrs are easy to find. Diamond powder with a little carrier(oil) using the wood stick in drill(dremel) chuck is good for small round spots. https://lascodiamond.com/LascoProducts- ... owder.html A gram of diamond dust is about 1/2 a thimble full. Enough for a lot of spots.
*Many stores(especially those $1 stores) carry bamboo toothpicks - much strong than wood.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.