Help with creating large multi-color swirls

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

BillsBayou

Help with creating large multi-color swirls

Post by BillsBayou »

I've seen multi-color swirls and wanted to know if they can be created by the average kiln user. Here is an example of what I want it to look like:
DELPHI PRODUCT PAGE

I understand how raked glass works and this does not look like it was raked.

When I see artists posting their completed works and multi-colored swirls are used, did they purchase the glass like that or did they create it?

If this is some artist's secret technique, don't tell me. It's just that I've seen it in so many places, I thought it might be a common technique.
Warren Weiss

Re: Help with creating large multi-color swirls

Post by Warren Weiss »

BillsBayou,
It is just as you see it on the Delphi page. It is called Baroque Glass made by Spectrum. It comes in many colorations. Most are either clear or white with another color, sometimes all three. I don't know if they will continue to make it when the line is moved to thee Mexican plant of the company that purchased them.
Warren
Leonard Cichowski

Post by Leonard Cichowski »

http://www.facebook.com/spectrum.glass. ... =2&theater

Bill,

Check out this link. you will see that the glass is manufactured with the swirls you desire.

Leonard
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Bill,

If you want to learn more about the process Spectrum used to create Baroque and similar glasses, check out this page: http://www.spectrumglass.com/stained-gl ... ribbon.asp

The links at the bottom of the page are to short movies that show the steps of the process. The one called "Stirring glass" is the part of the process that creates the swirls.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Many of the baroque glasses that Spectrum formerly made are listed as being discontinued at the new Mexican factory. If you can find any you want to use, buy it for once gone it probably will be gone for good.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Here is a list of the discontinued glass products.
Attachments
Discontinuations.jpg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Actually, that's an Opal Art (not baroque), but yes, it is the glass itself. You could comb it... you'd just be using wider "swaths" of color than what is typical with combing.

Enjoy it now, I think Oceanside said they would no longer be able to manufacture the Opal Arts.
blacknwhitecomp1.jpg
Dana W.