Hanging mirror construction

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

SandyP

Hanging mirror construction

Post by SandyP »

I have been asked to make a mirror for a client's powder room. Size will be about 36" x 30" and hang on the wall. I have never done this before, so I could use some advice on the structure so that it is safe. I would like the glass pieces to create an "organic" edge. Would it work to silicone the pieces directly on the mirror? What sort of backing material do I need for the mirror and how do I apply a hanging mechanism to the back?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sandy
Marty

Re: Hanging mirror construction

Post by Marty »

I'm probably out of line again but....
You're asking some very elementary questions- on what basis did you accept this commission and are you willing to accept responsibility for the integrity of the piece?
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

If you use the J shaped mirror mounting brackets (Home Depot) that will secure the mirror safely to the wall. Then your edge design could easily be silicone to mirror face. (use masking tape for 24hrs to hold design until silicone has cured)... Some relief may have to be ground or cast in back of your design to allow for mounting bracket clearance. Fresh GE Silicone II is a very dependable adhesive.
"The Glassman"
SandyP

Post by SandyP »

Thank you for your suggestion Don. This project is in the initial investigation stage, so no design is locked down. I thought I would need to back the mirror with something like plywood and a French cleat to hang it. Your idea of using J brackets would certainly make things simpler. Any thoughts on minimum thickness of the mirror if there is no additional backing?
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Larger mirrors are usually (in my experience) 1/4" thick
"The Glassman"
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Sandy, don't overthink it. It's just a mirror -- people hang them on the wall all the time with "mirror clips" that you find at any box store :mrgreen: . We have a large one piece mirror in our bathroom that is the width of a large vanity (7 feet?) with two basins and a height from the counter to about a foot from the ceiling. In 10 years, it hasn't moved :).

Dana W.