Polarizing film

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

Polarizing film

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I was looking for some polarizing film to check stress in some pieces and I have a question. Is Rosco #7300 polarizing film similar to the polarizing film that Bullseye sells?
jim simmons

Re: Polarizing film

Post by jim simmons »

You can also get a pair of CHEAP polarized sun glasses and use that plastic
The other Jim
Terry Gallentine

I am doing large pieces where the size of the filters will matter. If you don't have an answer regarding the question about the Rosco sheet film, please don't reply. Thank you.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

If you bothered to read Jim's reply before being rude to him, you would have understood that he WAS talking about the Rosco product you asked about.

Yes, the Rosco film will work. You can use a piece on the light source and another to look through.

Jim's suggestion was to use the Rosco film on a light box and use a pair of polarizing sunglasses to inspect your glass. In either case, you will have to rotate the film on the light box to get the correct orientation to extinguish the light source.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Terry Gallentine

I apologize for my rudeness. Thank you Tony and Jim for your responses. I have often received good information from folks on warmglass but I have also often asked questions that have elicited many responses that wandered far from the original question. Perhaps I have become over sensitized to this occasional non relevance. Thank you both for your information.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Thank you, Tony.
Also, your apology is accepted Terry.
I realize that people often have a "bad hair" day.
The other Jim
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Now that the flames have died down there are a lot of large pieces of polarizing film on Aliexpress with multiple sheets for the price of one of yours.
Terry Gallentine

Thanks Kevin. Where are the larger pieces located on aliexpress? I found quite a few for phones and tablets but nothing larger. I probably didn't look long enough.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Aliexpress is like ebay on steroids and without Paypal. Ask the right questions and get the right answers. I put in a measurement in addition to 'polariizing film' I randomly chose 20" and up came the various offerings. You'll have to check the angles of polarization will work for you. I suggest 135 but that may be wrong. Looking at the film I got decades ago I'd guess I turn the sheets at about 135 degrees. Edmunds Scientific where I bought my 8x10" sheets no longer sells it.
Check your shipping time to see if they will arrive in a timely manner and in my case if couriered by the likes of Fedex or UPS to Canada I'd get the nasty surprise of a $35+ brokerage fee and any applicable import duties.
You could also check Alibaba but you might not want several hundred of them.
What I don't understand is why you need such big sheets. You just move the smaller ones around for the same result. Even sun glasses can work.
Boyce's first book on fusing explains all and exactly what is being looked for. Once seen, stress patterns are never forgotten. If you are doing big panels and you have a slight amount of stress showing you need to take into account if there will be any environmental stresses added by the installation location. You might get away with a teeny amount but then again maybe a year later you won't.
Not nice to be on the receiving end of a phone call asking for a replacement reproduction of a piece of art because it just cracked a year later.
But of course you knew all that.
Terry Gallentine

Thanks Kevin. I am using a large light bank for my lighting source and I just want to limit the number of times that I have to move the base sheet of film. The pieces are mostly going to be 4' by 4' and kind of heavy.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

who'd have thought talking about polarizing film could be so............... polarizing.
Rick Wilton