Irid Plate

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

raphy

Irid Plate

Post by raphy »

I wanted to make an irid plate, irid side down, but I wanted part of the plate to have a texture, so that part of the plate would be on fiber paper. Should I fuse that part first, then put the other side together with it, as it will not be even on the kiln shelf. Trouble is it is in the middle of the plate. Probably a newbie question but I am not a newbie, don't know why I cannot figure this out to make it fit together.
Thanks.
JestersBaubles

Re: Irid Plate

Post by JestersBaubles »

A couple of solutions I can think of:

* Put a piece of Papyrus/ThinFire in the areas where you want less texture.

* Use the smoother side of the fiber paper for the area you want smooth, and flip the fiber paper to the rougher side for the area where you want texture.

I would go with the second option, if it were me. ThinFire can cause a haze on irid (BE recommends against irid-side down on ThinFire). I don't know about the Papyrus, since I have not heard any specific recommendations and can't remember if I've tried it. I usually fire irid either on a kiln-washed shelf or on fiber paper.

Dana W.
raphy

Post by raphy »

Thanks, but that is my concern, not to put the whole plate on thin fire as I know you are not supposed to on irid down. Hmmmm
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Just a quick thought.
Fuse parts of plate together as usual, then use a Bonny Doon bottom less mold to slump.
You can put whatever texture you wish under that mold and it will be only in the center.
Joyce from MT
raphy

Post by raphy »

great idea, thank you.