Cracked as a feature

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gusglass

Cracked as a feature

Post by Gusglass »

Several years ago I saw someone fuse shattered glass. It was like the spider web on a broken windshield. None of the pieces were missing and there was little evidence of the edge rounding when glass is fused.

Are there any pictures of this available?

How did they do this? Temperature shock? Physical breaking?

Thanks.
DonMcClennen

Re: Cracked as a feature

Post by DonMcClennen »

Put piece of glass inside some newspaper... Hit with hammer.. restack on base glass..fire!!
"The Glassman"
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Leave a little space between shards(1/8")when glueing in place for base glass to fill in during fusing for design.
"The Glassman"
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

It possibly wasn't fused but a sheet of tempered glass glued to a sheet of regular glass with the tempered glass shattered but held in place with the glue and clear sheet. It can also be done without the clear glass yet still using a glue of some sort. The laminated version has been around for decades the second technique is something developed by Rick Silas.

https://www.silastialglass.com/silastial-shatter-glass

https://www.silastialglass.com/silastia ... bent-glass
Rick Wilton
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

A long time ago last century I made a large (3) - panel shattered glass screen for a restaurant as well as a few table tops. Each panel was composed of a single sheet of tempered glass laminated between two sheets of annealed (non-tempered) glass. The exciting part is putting the tip of a nail against the tempered glass and whacking it with a hammer and watching the glass cracking all over. The undamaged sheets laminated either side hold it all together.

I see the the cold-bent shattered glass technique has been patented by Rick Silas and as he's teaching it I won't comment on the method.