10" saw blade

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

10" saw blade

Post by jim burchett »

Looking at Result med grit 0.04 kerf or MK med grit 0.032 kerf looking to cut pattern bars up to 2" thick. Any experience would be appreciated thanks
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: 10" saw blade

Post by Brad Walker »

We've had good experience with the MK, but you may need a blade stiffener. It's really thin and has a tendency to wobble if you go too fast.

Many people also swear by the Result blade and we've used it with no problems, but usually buy the MK.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Thanks Brad
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Any idea where to get stiffener? HIS doesn't sell them
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

jim burchett wrote:Any idea where to get stiffener? HIS doesn't sell them
Use an old 7" blade or anything stiff metal with a hole the right size. Just put it on the shaft right next to the 10" blade.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

you won't be able to use a 7" blade as a stiffener on your 10" when you cut 2" material!
"The Glassman"
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

DonMcClennen wrote:you won't be able to use a 7" blade as a stiffener on your 10" when you cut 2" material!
Good point! Have to be smaller, 5" or so. Something like this would probably work: https://www.amazon.com/CMT-299-102-00-B ... B000P4NTRW

As I recall, HIS used to carry them, but I guess there wasn't enough demand.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Set up a stop, set saw to cut 1.25", cut groove and flip to finish.
I'm finding a lot of drag on the thicker pieces (10" Result blade with 5" stiffeners, plenty of water) otherwise.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Went with a new MK...OMG what a difference. The old blade must be almost shot..the new one is like night and day...:)